Using Windows XP in 2024

I’m going to be updating this post with some resources, tested apps, etc. I’ve gathered. Do any of you still use Windows XP on any machine for something? Share your experiences!

3 Likes

I do! Except…not exactly for much of a cool reason, or anything. I have to use it with some really obscure (and obviously very outdated) software for archival/preservation of a certain format.

Would love to move away from it as soon as I can, which is why I’m going to attempt to write a new and infinitely better tool soon.

i have a super old ddr2 system that is “running” windows 10 and windows xp seems tempting to me i weirdly miss using it from school

hi, new here !

i use various old systems, both physical and VMs, running pretty much everything, XP included!
on XP i play games i would have played on the old family DELL (GBA games through VisualBoyAdvance-M and Novetus to emulate old Roblox both come to mind), message friends using escargot (although back then i would have actually used skype but there’s no old skype revival to my knowledge), and of course use old programs like windows movie maker!! >:3

1 Like

my partner and i have an XP machine that we built from the ground up a couple years ago for mostly gaming purposes, though we also have some older software that will only run on either it or our G4 mac (like one of my ROMplers’ sound editor).

it’s running a hyper-threaded pentium 4 at 2.8 GHz with 2 GB of DDR-400 RAM, a 120 GB PNY SSD we found for cheap, a quadro fx 3000, and a sound blaster audigy 2 zs. it’s mostly for pre-directx9 games, like the old PC ports of metal gear, resident evil, and final fantasy.

it also “handles” morrowind…so that’s fun! got it hooked up to a cheap viewsonic CRT and all that jazz—reminds me of when i was a kid!

1 Like