Surround Sound OBS > Youtube? and LFE channel

I get what to do with the 5 basic channels in 5.1 but what do I do with the LFE channel? I stream motorsports so I’m not sure how the LFE works in either YT or OBS. For editing the recorded video it’s not really an issue in Resolve

The LFE channel in a 5.1 arrangement is considered the sixth and typically final channel. As far as I’m concerned, in most cases, it should be treated like any other channel of audio—except for instead of having the usual full range of frequencies (like the rest of the channels), it’s limited to the lowest of the low end information in the audio program. Still just another channel of audio, though.

As for what to do with it in your case, I’m not sure why you would choose to omit it from your broadcast for any reason. I assume you want any viewer/listener of the broadcast who has a compatible 5.1 surround sound setup to be able to hear everything. The presence of that LFE channel shouldn’t affect those seeing/hearing the stream in stereo or any speaker configuration that excludes an LFE channel. Just leave it as is. That would be my recommendation.

What I’m trying to figure out is what to put on that channel. I have 3 mics left, right and center for track sounds. The pa system I put in the center. I do have a mic on my main cam that pans the cars racing. Would I put that on the lfe channel?

Ah, my bad. Misunderstood what you were asking.

Okay, so in this case, I’d probably just sum most or all of the existing channels together and filter out/roll off all information past whatever you personally deem to be sufficient for LFE. Then route it there. After all, that’s basically what they do for LFE in movies & TV.

Prett much what I started thinking. Nice to have someone else echo it. Thanks!

1 Like

I found this vst plugin that will do Dolby Atmos in any DAW that is vst capable. It looks to me to be a lot easier to use as well. And they have a free version as well as a paid one which is on sale right. Lookin forward to trying it out