"Old YouTube is back"?

It’s frustrating; I feel like ONLY channels trying to capitalize on “OMG old YouTube is back” are trending for this, not YouTubers who are just doing that style because that’s what they’ve always wanted to do/have done. Makes it feel more like a superficial, fleeting trend rather than an actual paradigm shift.

3 Likes

Yeah, frankly I do not see this as a paradigm shift either. Just another niche corner of YouTube emerging, which is not necessarily a bad thing, and it does go in line with the general demand for that kind of more down-to-earth personal stuff that this presentation does bring. Sort of a mild rebellion against the increasing professionalization of YouTube as a media environment.

1 Like

Sorry, redacted reply earlier when I realized I misread.

Even if the video irritated you, I think I needed to hear about this “trend”. I used to post somewhat regularly, but between the online video community changing (like I’m talking from Stupidvideos.com and bored.com era to influencer-central it’s become) and the ways Google screwed around with account logins back in the Google+ days…I just got discouraged and stopped.

Always did think about contributing to the old style of videos, be the change I want to see and all that, conviced that we just needed to saturate enough to get a small corner’s worth of viewership marketshare. But hearing that others are tired of the same old hype-wagon for everything…makes me actually want to try.

Go for it! I’ve been doing old school style videos on lost saves for a couple years now and it’s been a nice outlet. Can’t guarantee you’ll find much viewership - and you still have to learn a certain voice for the titles - but it’s nice to finally feel like the older formats aren’t dead anymore.

1 Like

Do you remember when people would make videos in response to each other’s other videos? How did they link or notify the other creator of the response video? I feel like that was a thing circa 2010 - 2018 but can’t for the life of me find examples or the mechanics to support it.

The feature went away by ~2012-2013. It was just called “Video Responses” - you could upload a video and it be attached to a public video as a “Video Response.” You can’t find any trace of it, because no trace of it exists anymore.
It looked like this:

With the current era of Shorts remixing and Clips, it only makes sense to bring this back, but they haven’t bothered. Probably due to moderation issues. (“Reply girls” were a controversial thing already back then.)

Yes, that’s what I was looking for!

I suppose if I were to do this today, it would be a matter of leaving a link in the comments of the first video and/or getting the first video creator’s attention of social media.

They did sort of bring it back with shorts in particular: if the creator permits it, you can remix the video and have it show up under the video description. It does give a bit of those vibes, although I mostly see it in context of music and short memeable formats.