đź’ż Demodisc.zone - A return to form

Welcome back to the good ol’ days.

demodisc.zone

A chill place to talk tech and nerd culture, the 90s/00s way. Official EposVox/analog_dreams/lost_saves forums.

What is demodisc.zone and why does it exist?
We live in an era where ownership doesn’t exist. Everyone moved to centralized, corporate-owned social media and hosting, giving up creative control and any sense of direction. The past couple years has seen many platforms crumble and the consequences of this shift become apparent. I’ve never liked it, I miss everyone’s fansites and separate forums and IRC chats or group IMs.
Discord has taken over mainstream group communication in many scenes, but it has plenty of major flaws. It’s fleeting, it’s inaccessible, and it’s locked up within the company’s platform. Discord as a company now has major stake owned by Tencent (a Chinese company that profits from data leeching) and has fumbled so much the past few years. From ballooning to 10x its size in ~2019 to laying off more people it even had in 2019 recently, to destroying its partner program and failing to launch new initiatives left and right… trust is wearing thin.
Unfortunately, most “Discord alternatives” either suffer from similar/worse issues (such as Guilded being bought up by Roblox) or (as is the case with the self-hostable options) just aren’t really up for the challenge yet.
So it was time to go back to our roots and launch an old-school forum. I want something that will stand for years and be searchable and accessible, to not be beholden to the whims of tech bros.
In order for the internet to be sustainable, we have to resist some of these modern luxuries and take a little control back. This site is part of that movement.
[Most of this is plagiarized from my own About page.]

This forum will be primarily about discussion. Be it about tech, gaming, anime, high-level conversations or diving into the nitty gritty technical details, just talking. Just like my Discord server (which is still staying up, just so we’re clear)!
This place will not be a tech support portal (we will still have a tech help section, but we’re under no obligation to provide any), or a solely OBS/streaming focused place.

Here are some things you can do to get started:

:metal: Sign up! You can make an account directly or sign in via Discord.

:speaking_head: Introduce yourself by adding your picture and information about yourself and your interests to your profile. What is one thing you’d like to be asked about?

:open_book: Get to know the community by browsing discussions that are already happening here. When you find a post interesting, informative, or entertaining, use the :heart: to show your appreciation or support!

:handshake: Contribute by commenting, sharing your own perspective, asking questions, or offering feedback in the discussion. Before replying or starting new topics, please review the Community Guidelines.

If you need help or have a suggestion, feel free to ask in Site Feedback or contact the admins.